Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Surgery


It's Thursday evening now, and I was discharged from the hospital this afternoon. Unitas hospital in Pretoria was pretty interesting- and I would find it very interesting to be a patient in an adult hospital in the US to have a tool for comparison. But, as hospitals go- it wasn't bad. The bed was comfortable, the nursing staff was friendly and efficient, the food was tolerable, etc.
I was planning on bringing a book with me to the hospital but I forgot to grab it on my way out the door and boy was that a mistake. I went in to the hospital Tuesday morning, and at 1PM they wheeled me into the operating room. Much like last time, I remember them giving me the anesthesia and then not much after that. But I woke up a few hours later (I have no idea how much time passed because I didn't see a single clock in my ward) and everything seemed to be functioning still. It was actually alot easier getting up and getting moving again than I thought it would be so that was a pleasant surprise. There were zero complications from the surgery but I had to spend an extra night in the hospital because the pain killers they were giving me weren't meshing well with the rest of my system. So, Wednesday I just chilled out in the hospital under the influence of pain killers. I spent Thursday morning just waiting to be released. I think I woke up around 6 and wasn't released until 1pm so that was a long wait- and more than once I found myself wishing I had brought a book.
But now I'm back at the Guest House just resting and healing. It hurts, but it's a manageable hurt, and I'm not totally incapacitated though everyone seemed surprised that I was up and moving around. However, I don't see myself running any marathons anytime soon. But, I've heard that the recovery process can be exponential at times and I'm hoping that this is one of those times.

1 comment:

  1. Wanna go running this monday? Bonogo to Sapone? and then head to Ouaga afterwards? yea sounds good right. Heal up

    ReplyDelete