Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

It begins


10/13/2011
Today was our last full day at the hostel type place we are currently located. We did a "survival language" session today which teaches us basic moore in order to get around if we get ourselves lost. There's no guarantee that the local language I will have to learn is moore and I think that only 3 of the health volunteers (13 total) will end up with the goal of becoming fluent in moore. We also got our language interview results today and my french currently exceeds the degree of proficiency that one needs to become a Peace Corps volunteer. I'm hoping to get a lot better though so I'm looking forward to speaking more French than English in the near future. As such, tomorrow we are moving to Saponne to get our host families and we'll be with them until December. The host families are tasked with helping us in language and working on our cultural adaptation. The program here is more rigorous than my courses in Ghana (for obvious reasons) with classes 6 days a week and only Sunday's off.
I also spoke to another health volunteer who said that being in the health section is one of the most adventurous parts of the Peace Corps. I'm looking forward to the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment